Believe me when I say that your mat matters. I have tried many and made all the regular mistakes, so you don’t have to. The mats offered in the Yovana Boutique are carefully selected based on my experience, practice, and continued research. The first mat I bought was an inch thick exercise mat. It may have padded my knees well, but I could not balance on it to save my life. This is a common mistake of new yogis. Then I bought an entry level Gaiam mat that was just fine until I got serious about my practice. I realized that a good grippy yoga mat could make a difference in my practice and bought my first Jade Harmony yoga mat. They have amazing grip. However, I soon realized that it was too short even for my 5’4” self at only 68 inches long. My next yoga mat was a Jade Fusion, it was twice as thick as my first Jade mat. The Jade Fusion mat was fine albeit a little wobbly when I was practicing on a hard wood floor, but my balanced failed me completely when I used it on a cushy floor like we have at Yovana. This mat quickly became my yin and restorative mat… You know the practices you never need to stand up in. Then I found the same extra wide Jade Harmony mat I started with but, 80 inches long. This is the mat I use in the studio. It is actually a little too long for my 5’4” person, but I will take that to have the width. My wide shoulders and limited range of motion in my shoulder required the extra wide mat.
Pre-pandemic Jade mats were the only premium mats we stocked in the Yovana Boutique. By the middle of 2020 many of our suppliers were out of stock on key products. This is the only reason we have studio blankets with fringe, but that is another story. So, I started looking around for other options. I basically ordered several of the popular mats available to evaluate and found a gem in B Mats. B Mats are just as sticky as Jade brand but they come standard a little longer and a little wider. I used this in my practice for about a month and while I loved it. I really needed the width of my Jade extra wide. If B Mat made a mat as wide, I would switch. That was my mat journey. Hopefully, my experience will help you find the best one for you the first time around.
Below you will find a comparison of the mats discussed and some tips on picking the best one for you. If you are ready to upgrade your mat or have questions about finding the perfect mat for you, let me know. If you would like to try out a Jade Harmony, Jade Fusion, or B Mat I have one of each available upon request for anyone wanting to explore options before making the investment. Just ask before class.
1) The B Mat- Not only do they have a great grip for standing poses they come a little wider and longer than your average yoga mat. These are appropriate for most people. That is why I stock this one the deepest with the most color choices.
2) The B Mat Long- is the same width and thickness as the B Mat…but is a full 85 inches long. Tall people this is for you! This also comes in a good assortment of colors.
3) The B Mat Long & Strong- This one has the same dimension of the B Mat Long, but it is 50% thicker. I think this one is a little too thick for our floors. Who are they right for? They are right for people that practice at places with hard floors or do not do classes with standing poses like yin and restorative. They are nicer on the knees, but harder to balance on. These are stocked in the boutique in limited quantities and colors.
4) The Jade Harmony Extra Wide- This is the one I use. Get this one if you want the extra width and the traction. Sadly, they only make it in Navy. Several members use this same mat. So, be sure to label this one if you store it in the studio. This also has the advantage of being long, but not as long as the B Mat Long.
5) Jade Fusion mats- These have great padding and when I was recovering from my knee injury, I needed that padding. But, if you are practicing in our studio you probably do not need this. I have one you can try and it can be ordered upon request.
6) Jade Fusion Mini Mats are new. They are perfect to use from your knees or your wrists. Unlike a blanket, they stay in place because they grip on to your regular mat. Then when we stand up you can move it to the side.
You may or may not know that I am a complete prop snob. I don’t just buy any products for the boutique. The Yovana Boutique ranges what I would classify as best in class options of all mats and other yoga gear. Each product in our range is there for a specific purpose. They are often not the cheapest ones you can find. But they are a great value for money. Did you know that when I was back in the corporate world, I ran the private label division of a large retailer? I was literally my job to evaluate products and buy or make the best value products. That division did about $100 million a year…we have less zeros here. But, I use the same product quality and price analysis when I buy products for the Yovana Boutique as when I bought 100,000 PlayStation controllers.
Premium mats are available for use by request.